Kelly A. Smakal earned bachelor’s degrees in English and Journalism from the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville in May, 1994, and went on to graduate from the University of Arkansas, School of Law in December, 1996.
Ms. Smakal has been licensed to practice law since 1997 and for over 20 years has focused her practice on divorce, paternity, child custody, support and all domestic matters, as well as guardianships and adoptions. She is regularly called to represent clients throughout the State of Oklahoma when local counsel is unavailable and/or unable to meet the needs of clients in complex custody, guardianship and adoption cases, as well as paternity, child support, divorce, father’s rights and more.
In addition to having more than 20 years of litigation experience at the state and appellate levels, Ms. Smakal regularly uses alternative dispute resolution methods such as mediation to successfully negotiate and settle her cases. She also enjoys educating others on domestic and guardianship matters and has served as a speaker at various continuing legal education seminars, as well as acting as an adjunct professor of law at the University of Tulsa Law School Legal Clinic in the area of elder law and guardianships.
Ms. Smakal volunteers in her community and is active in professional legal organizations, including the Tulsa County Bar Association and the Oklahoma Bar Association. She has held a variety of different roles in these organizations over the course of her career, and has been recognized and received various awards, including but not limited to Outstanding Committee Chairperson.
Because of her passion and skill, Ms. Smakal has earned recognition and awards from several legal professional organizations. In 2013 she was recognized by the Tulsa Business and Legal News as one of their Tulsa Power Attorneys. In 2015, she was named one of the “10 Best” in terms of client satisfaction by the American Institute of Family Law Attorneys. She was also recognized by the National Academy of Family Law Attorneys in 2018 as one of the Top 10 Family Law Attorneys in the State of Oklahoma, as well as Smakal Munn P.C. being recognized as an Oklahoma Family Law “10 Best Law Firm.” In addition, Ms. Smakal has been recognized by Super Lawyers since 2010, being named a Rising Star in 2010, and as a Super Lawyer in the area of Family Law since 2011.
- Family Law 10 Best Law Firm Oklahoma, American Institute of Family Law Attorneys, 2018
- Kelly A. Smakal is recognized as one of the Nationally Ranked Top 10 Attorneys in 2018 for excellence in the field of Family Law by the National Academy of Family Law Attorneys. , 2018 Nationally Ranked Top 10 Attorney Award , National Academy of Family Law Attorneys, 2018
- Client-Distinction Award, Martindale-Hubbell, 2015
- 10 Best Family Law Attorneys for Client Satisfaction in Oklahoma, American Institute of Family Law Attorneys, 2015
- 2013 Power Attorney, Tulsa Business & Legal News, 2013
- OBA YLD Outstanding Committee Chairperson, OBA YLD, 2004
- Tulsa Coordinator – Oklahoma HS Mock Trial, OBA, 2003
- Vice-Chairperson Oklahoma HS Mock Trial, OBA, 1998
- Oklahoma Super Lawyer each year since 2011 in the area of family law
- Oklahoma Super Lawyer Rising Star (2010)
- Phi Delta Phi legal honor fraternity, the Student Bar Association
Kelly A. Smakal
Guardianships (Adults & Minors)
Divorce/Dissolution of Marriage
Divorce Litigation and Trials
Legal Separation / Separate Maintenance
Child Custody, Visitation & Support
Spousal Maintenance & Support Alimony
Ante nuptial (Prenuptial/Separation) Agreements
Modification and Enforcement of Child Custody & Support
University of Arkansas School of Law, Fayetteville, AR,
J.D. – 1996
Oklahoma State University, Fayetteville, AR,
B.A. – 1994
Majors: English; Journalism
2011 Brown Bag Series Family Law – Presenter/Moderator
2011 Tulsa County Bar Association Annual Family Law Section Seminar – Presenter/Moderator
“Foreign Judgments: Registration, Enforcement, and Modification”
2011 Tulsa County Bar Association Family Law CLE – Presenter
“Discovery Procedure and Ethics” Basic
2012 National Business Institute Divorce Litigation from Start to Finish – Presenter
“Discovery Procedure and Ethics” Expanded